Monday, March 30, 2009

Gado Gado (gah-doh gah-doh)

Last week my friend Alison and I went to the Planned Parenthood of Greater Iowa's book sale. This book sale was dreamy--a HUGE room full of all sorts of wonderful books--we were in heaven. Among the books were lots of great cook books (YAY!) and I happened to pick up The New Moosewood Cookbook. If you don't own this cookbook walk, nay, RUN to the nearest bookstore and get it!!!
The first recipe I made from the Moosewood was a traditional Indonesian dish, Gado Gado. The Moosewood describes it quite perfectly:
"An Indonesian extravaganza: Yello rice on a bed of spinach, covered with vegetables, tofu, and hardboiled eggs. A gingery peanut suace gets drizzled over the top, and crucnhy, flavorful "final toppings" add a delightful finishing touch. AND IT'S ALL QUITE EASY-EVEN FOR BEGINNERS! HAVE FUN WITH THIS!"

Start with a bed of spinach and yellow rice (just add tumeric to your boiling rice to make it yellow)

Then top with veggies, tofu, and eggs.

Finish by drizzling with the most awesome peanut sauce ever and top with coconut flakes and crushed peanuts. There will seriously be a party in your mouth. This is a MUST try meal for my food lovin' friends. :-)
Peanut Sauce (The New Moosewood Cookbook)
Makes 2 cups
1 cup creamy peanut butter
1 heaping tablespoon grated ginger
1 heaping tablespoon minced garlic
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 1/2 cups hot water
4 tablespoons cider vinegar (I used rice vinegar and it tasted just fine)
2 tablespoon soy sauce
Crushed red pepper to taste

- Put everything is a blender (I used a hand blender) and puree until smooth. If it's too thick, add a little extra water.

- Drizzle over your Gado Gado. ENJOY!

2 comments:

  1. Yum, yum! You know me and my substituting...I wonder if I can sub almond butter for peanut butter...hmmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Almond butter or cashew butter would both work! Chels, this was sooooooo good. I really want to have a Gado Gado dinner party and have all sorts of veggies and toppings for people to put on their Gado Gado.

    ReplyDelete