Monday, February 16, 2009

Honey Bears, Mac and Cheese, and Soup

This little honey bear always makes me smile.
He was a perfect compliment to Whole Wheat Flax'n 'Nana Muffins.
I found the recipe for these muffins on the back of my Hodgson Mill Flax Seed box. They are really, really, really, really, really good. Doesn't hurt that they are really good for you.
Smear the muffins with some peanut butter and drizzle with honey and you are in for a treat.
Whole Wheat Flax'n 'Nana Muffins (Hodgson Mill Recipe-altered)
1/4 cup flax seed
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg, beaten
2 bananas, preferably brown, mashed (the recipe suggest using apples, which would be good too)
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 cup milk (I ended up using about 1 cup for more moisture)
1/2 cup chopped nuts
Blend dry ingredients together in a bowl. In a seperate bowl; combine egg, vegetable oil and milk. Add dry ingredients to egg mixture and stir until just blended. Fold in banana and nuts. Fill well greased muffin cups 2/3 full. Bake at 400 degrees for 18-20 minutes or until top springs back when touched.
I made this soup for supper tonight. Tonight I altered it by adding Indian spices (curry powder, cumin, and cinnamon) and it tasted even better than the first time I made it.


Last night I had a major craving for mac and cheese (the best comfort food EVER!) I used this recipe and this recipe as inspiration and came out with a bowl of this:


Mac and Cheese with a healthy kick! The spinach and mushrooms were a great add-in and the recipe I followed for the cheese sauce was made without butter. I also used the Barilla Plus pasta.

1 comment:

  1. If & when I make it to Iowa (God willing), I must request Jenn-infused Mac & Cheese. Please & thank you. xo

    ReplyDelete