Wednesday, February 4, 2009

SMART Girls and Ice Cream...HOORAY!

I know that I brag often about how much I love my job. I want to present you with further evidence as to why I love my job sooooooo gosh darn much. I run a program at the Club called SMART Girls. Yesterday the SMART Girls learned about science by exploring careers in science and learning about women who are scientists. To celebrate our new found knowledge we conducted our own little science experiment by making ICE CREAM!!!
The girls worked in teams to shake their bags of half and half, vanilla, and sugar.

The final results were really tasty (especially after we added in M&Ms and Sprinkles!)

Homemade Ice Cream in 5 minutes

1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 cup milk or half & half
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
6 tablespoons rock salt
1 pint-size plastic food storage bag (e.g., Ziploc)
1 gallon-size plastic food storage bag
Ice cubes

-Fill the large bag half full of ice, and add the rock salt. Seal the bag.
Put milk, vanilla, and sugar into the small bag, and seal it.
Place the small bag inside the large one, and seal it again carefully.
Shake until the mixture is ice cream, which takes about 5 minutes.
Wipe off the top of the small bag, then open it carefully. Enjoy!

2 comments: